Monday, October 5, 2009

Woof.

I found this CD at Whole Foods in Jersey:

"Through A Dog's Ear: Music To Calm Your Dog in the Car"


The CD promises music that will calm any dogs with "automobile anxiety" while still keeping the driver awake and aware. Presumably, this CD is supposed to keep your dog from pissing and puking all over your interior. So me being the morbidly curious soul, I bought the damn thing and popped it into the car's stereo, even though I don't own a dog. I, however, piss and puke often.


Track 1 was Chopin's Andantino Prelude in A Major, which we all know from his famous 24 Preludes, Op. 28. The piece was one of dozens that Chopin composed while spending the winter of 1838 in Valldemossa, Majorca with his friend novelist George Sand and her children to escape the damp weather of Paris, but it bears the distinction of being written in the style of a mazurka (bearing the unofficial title "The Polish Dancer") in 3/4 time. but why am I boring you with information that you already know? Duh.


After that "mazurka from Majorca" (my unofficial title for it. Tee hee!), Track 2 was Brahms' Intermezzo, which was a workmanlike recording, at best. The piano playing was plangent yet wooden, and the overall tempo seemed a bit too languid to really get a sense of upright serenity that Brahms aimed for. And I didn't expect T-Pain to sing over the second half, either.


Yes, the rest of the tracks were soothing as well. If I were a dog, I'd be properly calmed down. But the question now is, what kind of music would do the opposite of this CD? Well, we at EADJ have taken the liberty to compile what that CD would sound like!

Click here (iTunes Music Store link) to experience "Through A Dog's Brain: Music To Agitate Your Dog in the Car."

No comments: