Thursday, January 3, 2013

Catching Up With Dr. Fish


Hi guys.
As you may know, my "Dr. Fish" segment has been canceled for a while now. I no longer have an advice column where people ask me medical questions, and I respond awkwardly that I'm not an actual medically licensed doctor- that I'm just a fish.
But what have I been up to lately, you may ask?

Well, I'm glad you're wondering. Lately, I've been really trying to get back to my woodworking. I've built some nice pine bookshelves with my tablesaw, next week I'm going to stain them a dark cherry. They're gonna look really handsome in my den.

Also, I've started my own at-home tax service. It's true! Lots of people now ask me for pointers on how to file their individual tax returns. Remember folks, April 15 is coming soon!

Here now are some of their queries:




Dear Dr. Fish:

Is there an age limit on claiming my child as a dependent?

Sally H
New York, NY

-----

Dear Sally,

That's a terrific question. Unfortunately, I just run an amateur tax service. You see, I am just a fish, and fish cannot file your taxes for you. Hope that helps.

Dr. Fish

-----

Dear Dr. Fish:

For head of household filing status, do you have to claim a child as a dependent to qualify?

Junior Smalls
Cincinnati, OH

-----

Dear Junior,

Thanks for your letter. This question is actually very similar to the one from Sally H from New York, NY, and I'll tell you the same that I told her– I am just a fish. I am not qualified to answer any questions about taxes or requirements for filing taxes as a head of household. You see, I am simply a fish. Glad to be of service.

Dr. Fish

-----

Dear Dr. Fish-

How do you determine if a worker is an employee or an independent contractor? And don't tell me you're just a fish. I am sick of the runaround I've been getting regarding this question.

Furious,
Mack Gillardi
Seattle, WA

-----


Dear Mack,

That's a complex question, but I'm glad you asked. The answer is based on whether the person for whom the services are performed has the right to control how the worker performs the services. It is not, in fact, based merely on how the worker is paid, how often the worker is paid, or whether the work is part-time or full-time.

There are three basic categories of factors that are relevant to determining a worker's classification:

• behavioral control (whether there is a right to direct or control how the worker does the work)
• financial control (whether there is a right to directd or control the business part of the work)
• relationship of the parties (how the business and worker perceive the relationship)

Generally, if you are independent contractor, you are considered self-employed and should report your income (nonemployee compensation) on Schedule C (Form 1040).


But don't take my word for it. I'm just a fish.

Dr. Fish

No comments: