Monday, July 8, 2013

Quite Possibly The Very Worst Comic Strip I've Ever Read


I was reading the comics section of The Washington Post and happened upon this bad boy:


Reply All, by Washington native Donna A. Lewis, is possibly the lamest, ugliest, least funny and most poorly designed strip I have ever had the misfortune to drag my precious eyeballs across. It looks like somebody converted some Cathy comic strips into Powerpoint clipart, sapped them of whatever tiny wit they had to begin with, and went butt nuts with the paint bucket tool.

*Sidenote: There are artists who actually use lame clipart for comic effect. This one simply cannot draw.


Take a look at the comic's official website. The first thing they punch you in the eye with is COMIC SANS. I defy you to go through her archives and find a single strip that's funny. Go ahead. I'll wait.



Am I being sexist because the author is a woman? I don't think so. Because I can name other brilliant female cartoonists: Lynda Barry, Lynn Johnston (For Better Or Worse), Jan Eliot (Stone Soup), The Pajama Diaries' Terri Libenson, Cathy Guisewite- okay, they're not all brilliant, but still. And in Topless Robot's "10 Newspaper Comic Strips That Need To Fucking End," the majority of those comic creators are men. So don't think you can get away with peddling crap just because you're a female, Donna, and just own up to the fact that your lazy eyesore digital scribblings aren't up to scratch.

Ziggy out.

No comments: