Thursday, April 24, 2008

An EADJ Crapcade Review: Power Games System, Part 1


(EDITOR'S NOTE: There are many aspects and details of the Power Games System to judge, so we had to break up its review into three parts using three different reviewers. This first entry is by David Estoye. The other two will be by Tom Weingard, and Lorraine & her boyfriend.)

This reporter was fortunate enough to stumble across this gem of a system while shopping in a pretty jacked up mall in Brooklyn. Along with cell phone accessories and spinning rim belt buckles, the mall kiosks sold videogame systems for $40 a pop; $30 if you pay cash. For some reason the guy was willing to haggle as if we're in a Bangladesh village market. Like we're trading Nakshikathas for salwar kameezes– am I right, people?

After dinking around with a demo model, which I had to keep from the sticky hands of toddlers, I purchased one and took it home. The box felt suspiciously light.

Even before playing the Power Games System, I knew I had to review it fairly. I wanted to judge this system not in comparison to the XBox 360 or the Playstation 3, but to something more in its price range. I decided I would compare it to playing with my nuts.


Packaging:

"Super Entertainment System." The graphics on the box are awesome. Looks like somebody scanned the boxes of other toys from a Dollar Value Store and then made a collage. Top marks.



Components:


The number of components is impressive, too. There's a "Unique Detachable Light Gun," a "High Tech Controller," and a "Wireless Controller," all held snug by some high tech styrofoam and high tech cellophane. Oh, also, there's a penguin.



In comparison, my nuts are in a packaging of cotton boxer briefs, which is then wrapped in denim. Advantage: nuts.




Games like "TENAGE NUTANT..."


"SQOON..."


and the classic "DONGKEY KONG."


It turns out to really be Donkey Kong, actually. Good show.


Dig Dug is Dig Dug, too!


One game which caught my eye, however, was MILK NUTS.




So overall, The Power Games matched my nuts in enjoyability, playability and learning curve. However, my nuts won out in the dollar-per-enjoyment category.

FINAL GRADE:
POWER GAMES SYSTEM: C+
MY NUTS: A++

No comments: