Tuesday, September 7, 2010

And Now, Vince's Uncle Roberto With How To Draw A Rose


The drawing of roses and flowers comes down to good observations and a solid confidence in drawing, but there are simpler ways to draw roses, as they aren't that complicated to get right.

First, create a rough outline of your intended rose drawing, starting off with a simple line for the stem and a couple of tiny branches and just a rough circle shape for the flower petals later on.


Then, form petals and leaves on the outline. This is the important step of sketching in the petal formation, as you want it to look right, I suggest an unsymmetrical approach, as this makes the petals look real.


Next comes rose shading and detailing. The darkening of the pencil lines now makes the rose drawing more defined and we can start adding the shading to the flower.


Finally, we finish off the shading. Here we have the final rose drawing, all shaded and with the pencil lines cleaned up slightly, When I've finished a simple drawing like this I like to leave well alone, before I add too much detail and other things that detract from the subject at hand.

Just remember that with anything you draw, it is far easier to break down the steps into easier to manage bite-sized steps.


And speaking of bite-sized, I once drove a party of fourteen midgets to the airport. Fourteen! They tried to stiff me, saying I was driving them by weight, but I charged them per head. As I should.

No comments: