Thursday, November 20, 2008

An Interview With the 4 Ladies In That Old "Haulin' Ass" Poster


Most men who grew up in the 80's remember the "Haulin' Ass" poster. Some had it hanging on their wall or basement, and some had seen it for sale at their local Spencer's Gifts Store. This enduring classic from 1986 depicting four bikini'd women in high heels standing in the bed of a truck with the caption "Haulin' Ass" has recently been inducted into the new poster archive section of the Library of Congress. EADJ tracked down the four women who posed in this perennial favorite in four retrospective interviews.


Barbara Cassidey, 40, Gym Manager
"Yeah, I remember that shoot. It was a mild August afternoon in Taylor, Michigan, which is just outside of Detroit. A good friend of mine knew the photographer and volunteered me. I thought it was for a commercial or a movie, so I got my hair and face made up. But then they told me to just show my ass. Kind of lame. The guy didn't even clean the truck."


Deborah Galveston, 43, Financial Advisor at The U.S. Department of Labor
"Shit. This is what you're interviewing me for? A 22-year old photo? Goddamn, I've moved on. I've built a fucking life and a fucking family and shit. Motherfucking poster that I never got paid for, cheap-ass asshole photographer snaps a picture of my ass, and I never hear from him again. Fuck. You know what? Fuck you. Get out."


Candace Bettermin, 39, Radio Promoter, (Deceased)
Unfortunately, Candace Bettermin passed away in 2006 from injuries sustained in an accident at a promotional event for a local radio station in Wichita, Kansas. An oversized fiberglass tooth fell on Bettermin as she was swinging from a chain below it. She was wearing the pink bikini and heels that had made her so famous.


Maya Angelou, 80, Poet and Activist
"Yes, few people realize that I was the fourth girl in that famous photo. I was 58 at that time, can you believe that? It's funny. I was in town for a book signing of my latest collection of poems, "All God's Children Need Traveling Shoes," and my agent had told me she'd scheduled an additional appearance in an alley behind a Fuddrucker's. I was hesitant but once I put on those heels, I knew it was a good thing. Why, years later, I wrote a poem about the experience. I think it was called either Welcoming The Sun Into Your Arms or Exposing My Ass In The Back Of Someone's Ford F-150. I forget which."

Copies of the "Haulin' Ass" poster are still on sale at Amazon under the title "Women In Truck," although if you look closely at the title of the webpage window, it's under the category "Kitchen & Dining."

10 comments:

BRUNOANDKIMBRLY said...

I KNEW THE 3RD GIRL FROM THE RIGHT & THAT WAS "LESLIE BREMMER". NOT WHO YOU SAID.

Anonymous said...

Uhh read their names...you obviously don’t know anyone from that poster. Stop lying.

Anusha Solayea said...

too bad this story is fictional. I was in this poster so was Leslie Bremmer. It actually would have been cool if you interviewed all of us.

Anonymous said...

I am the REAL LADY IN BLUE!

Anonymous said...

All of us ladies are now in our mid to late 50's people. A friend saw this online, and she knew my relationship to the photo. I did this to pay bills and a few yrs later tried out to become one of the 1st O Arena Girls for the Orlando Magic. This was so long ago.

Anonymous said...

That’s so cool that was my favorite poster hanging up

Anonymous said...

My favorite poster that was hanging up

Anonymous said...

Well you all were Beautiful made my childhood

Anonymous said...

lani turk was also a model

Anonymous said...

I got both pics front and back awesome