Monday, May 5, 2008

"It's Obi Wan. He's holding me back!"


Found in a recent Village Voice: this ad for an acting school. Pretty reputable school, dropping names like Mamet and William H. Macy. But look closely...


What the frak? Sure, Jessica Alba and Skeet Ulrich are very attractive people, but if you're trying to sell yourself as a primo acting school, I think you could do better than the stars of "Blue Crush" and "Jericho." Like maybe a photo of a Resusci Annie and a traffic cone. Alba and Ulrich are terrible in everything they've ever done.

I do have to admit, though, that little printing shmutz on Skeet Ulrich's forehead does make him more intriguing.

Wait, did I say "Blue Crush" earlier? Sorry, that's the wrong title. I meant "who gives a shit."

4 comments:

Sir Smellsalot said...

I once did an ad that parodied posters like that. Putting big stars in big type but squeaking a little "look who's heard of our product, quite possibly" in front of it.

Anonymous said...

Skeet was critically acclaimed in Miracles, Into the West and Touch -- Alba is horrible, I'll grant you that one. Jericho, the writing wasn't strong enought to showcase Skeet's range. But the other ones mentioned, he could shine because he had meaty scripts. This is applicable to ALL actors. I mean, George Clooney is 'hailed' as a great actor, when he is just mediocre, even in brilliantly written works. Hollywood is just a highschool popularity contest. Sad really.

Estoye said...

What are you talking about?!

Anonymous said...

yellow haze